decent interactive python shell on MS Windows?

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Wed Oct 1 13:15:05 EDT 2008

james.kirin39 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> After having used Python on Linux for some time, I now have to do
> Python coding on Windows. I am big fan of the interactive Python shell
> to test, eg, regexps.
>
> Is there an interactive Python shell on Windows that supports:
>
> - easy copy-pasting to/from an editor? (as opposed to the cumbersome
> "mark", "copy" and then "paste" sequence that any terminal on Windows
> seems forced to adopt)
>
> - readline-like command history (up/down for previous/next command,
> Ctr-R for searching, etc) ?
>
> I have tried the python.org shell (difficult copy-pasting),
> ActiveState's (no readline command history) and iPython (difficult
> copy-pasting). Do you know of any decent interactive python shell on
> Windows that comes close to the friendliness of the standard one on
> Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> James
> --

I use a window's port of
        rxvt
running cygwin's bash shell.

Bash gives you all the command-history readline like capabilities, and
the rxvt window implements all the cut/past mouse actions you're used to
from Linux/Unix terminal windows.

Together, these make windows feel almost civilized.

Happy Googling for them,
Gary Herron