Reg: Installation problems in psycopg2

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Tue Oct 14 00:03:55 EDT 2008

On Oct 13, 2008, at 11:52 PM, raj.indian.08 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>    I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask this
> question. Please let me know if it isn't.

The psycopg mailing list would be a better place to ask.

>    I am trying to install psycopg2 in my windows machine for
> connecting with the PostgreSQL server.
>
>    Since there is no binary executable*, I  am trying to build my own
> - and I am facing this issue.
>
> C:\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe:
> cannot find -lpq
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I've never installed psycopg on Windows but this issue comes up from
time to time on Unix-based operating systems. The psycopg installer
uses the pg_config application to figure out where everything is. If
it can't execute pg_config (due to permissions or the fact that it's
not in the path when you run setup.py), then the installer makes some
best guesses at where things are. If those guesses are wrong, compile
and link steps can fail.

HTH
Philip