how to get the thighest bit position in big integers?

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Sun Oct 5 12:40:32 EDT 2008

mmgarvey at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using python to develop some proof-of-concept code for a
> cryptographic application. My code makes extended use of python's
> native bignum capabilities.
>
> In many cryptographic applications there is the need for a function
> 'get_highest_bit_num' that returns the position number of the highest
> set bit of a given integer. For example:
>
>    get_highest_bit_num( (1 << 159))     == 159
>    get_highest_bit_num( (1 << 160) - 1) == 159
>    get_highest_bit_num( (1 << 160))     == 160

How about a binary search?

>>> from bisect import bisect
>>> BITS = [1<<n for n in range(1,1000)]  # Use max number of bits here.
>>> bisect(BITS, 1<<159)
159
>>> bisect(BITS, 1<<160-1)
159
>>> bisect(BITS, 1<<160)
160

I have no clue if this is faster or not.  The comparison function used
in the search is (potentially) slow, but the search is O(log n) on the
number of bits rather than O(n), so its worth a test.

If you run timing test, let us know the results.

Gary Herron