HARD REAL TIME PYTHON

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Oct 7 07:54:22 EDT 2008

>> I've done this using RTAI + ctypes. Of course the hard realtime
>> tasks are
>> written in C - but only the absolutely minimal core.
>> Works like a charm.
>
> (Btw, what is this application like)

It's for a robot with 8 motors, with a industrial PIII-based PC on board,
running RTAI Linux 2.6. The core control task is user-space realtime with a
1ms loop and gets it's controlling commands via plain C-structs that I pass
in using python/ctypes.

On of the great things about this is that there is Python's GC working in
favor of me, as I can simple allocate/deallocate data structures from
withing Python.

Diez