Question about scope

Thu Oct 23 18:03:14 EDT 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:38:35 -0400, Pat wrote:

> I have a Globals class.

Well, that's your first mistake. Using global variables in a class is no
better than using bare global variables. They're still global, and that's
a problem:

http://weblogs.asp.net/wallen/archive/2003/05/08/6750.aspx

> In it, I have a variable defined something like this:
>
> remote_device_enabled = bool
>
> In one module, I assign True/False to Globals.remote_device_enabled.
> Once set, this value never changes.
>
> In another module, at the top after the imports statements, I tried
> this:
>
> from Globals import *

That can't work if Globals is a class. I take it you meant that Globals
is a module. That's still got all the disadvantages of global variables.

> RDE = Globals.remote_device_enabled
>
> This way, I thought that I could just use 'if RDE:'
>
> Within the functions, however, I get a different value.  What am I
> misunderstanding?

Everything?

Perhaps it's time to go back to basics and work through the tutorial.

> I tried this at the top of the module (but it didn't word):
>
> global RDE
> RDE =  Globals.remote_device_enabled

At the top of a module, the "global" keyword is a no-op, because
everything at the top of a module is already global.

--
Steven