is decorator the right thing to use?

Dmitry S. Makovey dmitry at athabascau.ca
Thu Sep 25 16:38:03 EDT 2008

George Sakkis wrote:

> I'm not sure if the approach below deals with all the issues, but one
> thing it does is decouple completely the proxied objects from the
> proxy:

<snip/>

> class _ProxyMeta(type):

<snip/>

It smelled to me more and more like metaclass too, I was just trying to
avoid them :)

Your code looks awefully close to what I'm trying to do, except it looks bit
heavier than decorators. Seems like decorators are not going to happen in
this part of project for me anyway, however the whole discussion gave me a
lot to think about. Thank you Bruno, Aaron, Diez and George.

Thanks for the concrete code with metaclass. I'm going to study it
thoroughly to see if I can spot caveats/issues for my usecases however it
seems to put me on the right track. I never used metaclasses before and
decorators seemed to be bit more straight-forward to me :) ..oh well.