Python arrays and sting formatting options

Peter Pearson ppearson at nowhere.invalid
Tue Sep 30 11:31:59 EDT 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 00:04:18 +0200, Ivan Rebori wrote:

> 1. Multi dimensional arrays - how do you load them in python
> For example, if I had:
> -------
> 1 2 3
> 4 5 6
> 7 8 9
>
> 10 11 12
> 13 14 15
> 16 17 18
> -------
> with "i" being the row number, "j" the column number, and "k" the ..
> uhmm, well, the "group" number, how would you load this ?
>
> If fortran90 you would just do:
>
> do 10 k=1,2
> do 20 i=1,3
>
> read(*,*)(a(i,j,k),j=1,3)
>
> 20 continue
> 10 continue
>
> How would the python equivalent go ?

Since you're coming from the FORTRAN world (thank you for
that stroll down Memory Lane), you might be doing scientific
computations, and so might be interested in the SciPy
package (Google scipy), which gives you arrays and matrices.
Don't expect to be able to use it without learning some Python,
though.