How do I set a callback in Python?

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Mon Sep 8 03:21:52 EDT 2008

catsclaw wrote:
> I can't for the life of me figure out how to set a callback in
> Python.  I have a class, which wraps another class.  The second class
> needs a callback assigned.  I don't want to use globals for it.
> Here's what I'd like to do:
>
> class MyWrapper:
>     def get_login(self, username):
>         return self.user, self.pass
>
>     def __init__(self, user, pass):
>         self.user = user
>         self.pass = pass
>
>         self.client = Client("connection string")
>         self.client.callback_login = get_login

Make that list line:

        self.client.callback_login = self.get_login

Then you are passing a "bound" method (meaning bound to a particular instance).
The client class calls its callback_login as a normal function with parameters,
and the Wrapper get_login will be called on the proper instance of MyWrapper.

This is a very common thing for many uses, including callbacks.

Hoping I understood what you wanted correctly,
Gary Herron