What do you call a class not intended to be instantiated

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Sep 27 01:15:43 EDT 2008

In article <pan.2008.09.26.07.27.41 at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au>,
Steven D'Aprano  <steven at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:17:14 -0700, Aahz wrote:
>>
>> Seems to me that if all the module is used for is to store state, you're
>> wasting a file on disk.  I personally prefer to use a class singleton.
>
>I don't recognise the term "class singleton". Can you explain please? How
>is it different from an ordinary singleton?

An ordinary singleton is instantiating the class multiple times yet
returning the same instance object; a class singleton is simply using
the class directly (like a module).

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."  --Richard Bach