SAXReaderNotAvailble: No parsers found

josh logan dear.jay.logan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 09:42:39 EDT 2008

On Aug 30, 8:59 pm, josh logan <dear.jay.lo... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Vincent Yau <y... at ohsu.edu> writes:
> > > I am trying to use Python SAX API to parse XML files.  I do see expat.py
> > > somewhere underneath my Python 2.1.1 installation (on Solaris).
> > > But I got this error when invoking the xml.sax.make_parser() call.  Any
> > > tip/help much appreciated.
>
> > You should install Expat before building Python. Best, you edit
> > Modules/Setup to build pyexpat explicitly.
>
> > Regards,
> > Martin
>
> Fast-forward to 2008
>
> I installed Python 3.0b2 on a Windows Vista laptop (after having
> previously installed Python 2.5), and I am getting this same error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "Programming\Python\monkeys.py", line 24, in <module>
>     test_parse(sys.argv[1])
>   File "Programming\Python\monkeys.py", line 21, in test_parse
>     xml.sax.parse(f, handler)
>   File "C:\Python30\lib\xml\sax\__init__.py", line 30, in parse
>     parser = make_parser()
>   File "C:\Python30\lib\xml\sax\__init__.py", line 90, in make_parser
>     raise SAXReaderNotAvailable("No parsers found", None)
> xml.sax._exceptions.SAXReaderNotAvailable: No parsers found
>
> I see a pyexpat.lib in the C:\Python30\libs folder.
> I also see a pyexpat.pyd in the C:\Python30\DLLs folder.
>
> It works in Python 2.5. I installed Python 3.0b2 as admin.
> Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?

Does anyone have an answer for this?

I uninstalled both Python 2.5 and Python 3.0b2 and then re-installed
3.0b2, thinking that the installer was confusing 2.5 and 3.0b2 on
Windows Vista. Still have the same issue.
I had to use my XP machine, since the Vista installation seems broken
for Python 3.0b2. How do I fix this? How do I get Python to notice the
pyexpat.lib in the C:\Python30\DLLs folder in Vista?

Thanks