File Reading related query

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Sep 17 06:52:07 EDT 2008

> I am talking about text file which contain multiple lines e.g following
> three lines are there in my textfile.txt
>
> this is python list
> where we get support
> from geeks
>
> I want
>
> sentence = this is python list where we get support from geeks
>
> whereas when i use simple read() i get something like this
>
> sentence = this is python list\nwhere we get support\nfrom geeks

You mean

   sentence = myfile.read().replace('\n', ' ')

?

If you want to compact multiple spaces, such as

   this is the python__
   list where__
   __we get support

(where "_" represents a space) and you want that to become

   this is the python list where we get support

you'd have to use slightly more intelligent processing, and
explain the behavior you'd want if more than one blank line was
encountered.  But for a first pass:

   import re
   r = re.compile(r"\s*\n")

   sentence = r.sub(" ", myfile.read())