max(), sum(), next()

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 20:12:07 EDT 2008

On Sep 10, 5:36 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> Mensanator wrote:
> > Are there situations where the sum of an empty
> > list should NOT be 0? Of course there are.
>
> Python Philosopy (my version, for this discussion):
>    Make normal things easy; make unusual or difficult things possible.
>
> Application:
>    Sum([]) == 0 is normal (90+% of cases).  Make that easy (as it is).
>    For anything else:
>      if seq: s = sum(s, base)
>      else: <whatever, including like raise your desired exception>
>    which is certainly pretty easy.
>
> > Can sum() handle those cases?
>
> The developers choose what they thought would be most useful across the
> spectrum of programmers and programs after some non-zero amount of
> debate and discussion.
>
>  >  No, it can't, I have to write
>
> > my own definition if I want that behaviour.
>
> Or wrap your calls.  In any case, before sum was added as a convenience
> for summing numbers, *everyone* has to write their own or use reduce.
>
> Sum(s) replaces reduce(lambda x,y: x+y, s, 0), which was thought to be
> the most common use of reduce.  Sum(s,start) replaces the much less
> common reduce(lambda x,y: x+y, s, start).
>
> Reduce(S, s), where S = sum function, raises an exception on empty s.
> So use that and you are no worse off than before.

What am I doing wrong?

>>> S = sum

>>> S
<built-in function sum>

>>> s = [1,2,3]
>>> type(s)
<type 'list'>

>>> reduce(S,s)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#13>", line 1, in <module>
    reduce(S,s)
TypeError: 'int' object is not iterable

>>> reduce(S,s,0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#14>", line 1, in <module>
    reduce(S,s,0)
TypeError: 'int' object is not iterable

>>> reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,s)
6

>>> s=[]
>>> reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,s)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#17>", line 1, in <module>
    reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,s)
TypeError: reduce() of empty sequence with no initial value

This is supposed to happen. But doesn't reduce(S,s) work
when s isn't empty?