max(), sum(), next()

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Thu Sep 11 04:51:11 EDT 2008

Hi,

Luis Zarrabeitia wrote:
> Quoting Laszlo Nagy <gandalf at shopzeus.com>:

> Even better:
>
> help(sum) shows
>
> ===
> sum(...)
>     sum(sequence, start=0) -> value
>
>     Returns the sum of a sequence of numbers (NOT strings) plus the value
>     of parameter 'start'.  When the sequence is empty, returns start.
> ===
>
> so the fact that sum([]) returns zero is just because the start value is zero...
> sum([],object()) would return an object().
>
> BTW, the original code:

> wouldn't work anyway... it seems that sum doesn't like to sum strings:

> <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: sum() can't sum strings [use ''.join(seq) instead]

Yes which is a bit bad anyway. I don't think hard wiring it is such a
nice idea. You know, walks like a duck, smells like a duck...
If it makes sense to handle things differently for performance, then
please have it doing it silently, e.g. when it detects strings just
use join() internally.

Cheers
Tino