n00b question: Better Syntax for Coroutines?

ig at illusorygoals.com ig at illusorygoals.com
Fri Sep 12 21:08:20 EDT 2008

First off, I'm a python n00b, so feel free to comment on anything if
I'm doing it "the wrong way." I'm building a discrete event simulation
tool. I wanted to use coroutines. However, I want to know if there's
any way to hide a yield statement.

I have a class that I'd like to look like this:

class Pinger(Actor):
    def go(self):
        success = True
        while success:
            result = self.ping("128.111.41.38")
            if result != "success":
                success = False
        print "Pinger done"

But because I can't hide yield inside ping, and because I can't find a
convenient way to get a self reference to the coroutine (which is used
by the event queue to pass back results), my code looks like this:

class Pinger(Actor):
    def go(self):
        # I dislike this next line
        self.this_pointer = (yield None)
        success = True
        while success:
            # I want to get rid of the yield in the next line
            result = (yield self.ping("128.111.41.38"))
            if result != "success":
                success = False
        print "Pinger done"

I posted a more detailed version of this as a rant here:
http://illusorygoals.com/post/49926627/

I'd like to know, is there a way to get the syntax I want? After
staying up late last night to get a proof-of-concept working with
coroutines, my boss expressed disappointment in the ugliness of the
Pinger code (we agreed on the desired syntax above). I spent almost 2
hours today to migrate the system over to threads. That made my boss
happy, but I'm still curious if I can do something to salvage the
coroutine version.

Regards,
IG