Python is slow?

J Peyret jpeyret at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 15:23:26 EDT 2008

On Sep 23, 8:31 am, bearophileH... at lycos.com wrote:

Guys, this looks like a great data structure/algo for something I am
working on.

But... where do I find some definitions of the original BK-tree idea?
I looked through Amazon
and only a few books mention something like BK-Tree and these are
mostly conference minutes books, at ungodly prices.

I also did a quick Google on it and there isn't that much about the
subject.

http://blog.notdot.net/archives/30-Damn-Cool-Algorithms,-Part-1-BK-Trees.html

is the one I mostly saw referred.

So... 2 questions:

1.  More bk-tree references?  I can follow the code, but some
understanding of the background would be nice.

2.  What, if any, is a good book to understand the basic of fuzzy/
string matching?  Proximity/affinity problems?  Or, more generally, a
good book on advanced algorithms?

No, I don't wanna read Knuth's just yet, something more modern/easy to
follow maybe?  Something like 'Programming Collective Intelligence',
ISBN 0596529325, would be very nice, though it is perhaps a bit too
specific in its applications.  Books using Java or C are fine.  Lisp,
hmmm, well... I have trouble reading its notation, sorry.

Cheers

JLuc