Windows / Tkinter - problem with grid - not able to place widgets at desired places

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 09:47:01 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Francesco Bochicchio
<bockman at virgilio.it> wrote:
> Il Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:15:10 +0100, dudeja.rajat ha scritto:
>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm learning Python and Tkinter. I've started programming in Eclipse
>>>with PyDev. I'm intending to create a GUI. I'm not able to understand
>>>the Grid manager perhaps because there is quite a less documentation
>>>available for it on the net.
>>>
>>>My desired GUI is attached in the mail. Although I've tried writing a
>>>class module for this GUI but I'm not able to set all things right in
>>>the GUI. The Biggest problem seems to be with the Grid Manager in terms
>>>how it divides a window in Rows / columns. etc. I'm not able to place
>>>none of the widgets correctly in the GUI.
>>>
>>>For your convenience, I'm attaching this code also as myModule1.py .
>>>Please some one review it and help create me this GUI.
>>>

> Uhm, I don't think you should use the grid manager to obtain a window
> like that. The grid manager is for equally distributing widgets both
> horizontally and vertically.
> And I'm not sure that you can realize that window look with Tkinter.

Yes you can.

> You could get close by horizontally packing each widget row in a frame
> and then vertically packing the frames in the window. But the look will be
> quite different than your target. If you are not satisfied with that I
> suggest you move to other toolkits which have more complex geometry
> managers than .pack and .grid.

Uhm.. I'm sure it is more a question of learning how to use them properly.
The following code should be very close to the original request,
depending on the tk version some minor modifications may be needed.

from Tkinter import Tk, Button, Checkbutton, Label, Entry, Frame

class App:
    def __init__(self, master):
        column0_padx = 24
        row_pady = 36

        #Label 1
        lbl_testcase_exec = Label(master, text="Test case execution",
                                  wraplength=100, anchor='w', justify='left')
        lbl_results_cmp = Label(master, text="Results comparison",
                                wraplength=100, justify='left')
        lbl_tolerance = Label(master, text="Tolerance (5%)", wraplength=100)
        testcase_exec = Checkbutton(master)
        results_cmp = Checkbutton(master)
        tolerance = Entry(master, width=4)
        lbl_analysis = Label(master, text="Analysis Library")
        analysis_lib = Entry(master, width=30)

        lbl_testcase_exec.grid(row=0, column=2, padx=20, pady=12, sticky='w')
        lbl_results_cmp.grid(row=0, column=3, pady=12, sticky='w')
        lbl_tolerance.grid(row=0, column=4, padx=20, pady=12, sticky='wn')
        lbl_analysis.grid(row=1, column=0, sticky='w', padx=column0_padx)
        analysis_lib.grid(row=1, column=1, sticky='w')
        testcase_exec.grid(row=1, column=2, padx=20, sticky='w')
        results_cmp.grid(row=1, column=3, sticky='w')
        tolerance.grid(row=1, column=4, padx=20, sticky='w')

        #Label 2
        lbl_ref_analysis = Label(
            master, text="Reference Analysis Libary Version",
            wraplength=150, justify='left', pady=row_pady)
        ref_analysis_lib = Entry(master, width=30)
        lbl_ref_analysis.grid(row=2, column=0, sticky='w', padx=column0_padx)
        ref_analysis_lib.grid(row=2, column=1, sticky='w')

        # version
        lbl_version = Label(master, text="Version under Test")
        version = Label(master, text="vA.B.C.D")
        lbl_version.grid(row=3, column=0, sticky='w', padx=column0_padx)
        version.grid(row=3, column=1, sticky='w')

        # test all
        lbl_testall = Label(master, text="Test All")
        testall = Checkbutton(master)
        lbl_testall.grid(row=4, column=0, pady=row_pady, padx=column0_padx,
                         sticky='w')
        testall.grid(row=4, column=1, sticky='w')

        # buttons
        bottom_frame = Frame(master)
        bottom_frame.grid(row=5, column=1, columnspan=3, sticky='w')

        btn_start = Button(bottom_frame, text = "Go", width=7)
        btn_start.pack(side='left')
        btn_commit = Button(bottom_frame, text="Commit", width=7)
        btn_commit.pack(side='left', padx=80)
        btn_exit = Button(bottom_frame, text="Exit", width=7)
        btn_exit.pack(side='left')

root = Tk()
root.title("Test Automation")
root.minsize(800, 400)