Python and Open Office

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 15:58:47 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 21:59, Terry Reedy wrote:
> Hartmut Goebel wrote:
>> Terry Reedy schrieb:
>>
>> The API docs are a bit hidden on the webpage. Here is the link:
>> <http://opendocumentfellowship.com/files/api-for-odfpy_2.odt>
>
> I wrote my comment *after* looking at the above, which I found easily
> enough.  After 7 pages of (helpful) explanatory text, there follow 88
> pages with hundreds of entries like this:

[...]

> which are translated to a more readable form from the Relax-NG schema
> (formal specs) in the standard.  But I have no idea what a Ruby property
> is in this context.  It would be much like reading the grammar entries
> in the Python Reference without the explanatory text that follows.

I started using odfpy for a project, and I found that I spent a lot of time
flicking back and forth in the API manual and cross-referencing it with the
specification. The simple examples were useful enough to get started with,
but I could have used more information about how to use certain classes
and what elements and attributes they required.

I also wanted to add equations to the documents I was producing and that
requires some knowledge of MathML.

Certainly, it's not a very high level API for documentation creation - you
need to know something about the format to be able to construct documents.

David