How to get the filename in the right case ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 12:18:16 EDT 2008

OKB (not okblacke) wrote:

>>> d:\data_python_25\pylab_works\module1.py(3)<module>()
>>>
>> -> print "hello"
>> (Pdb)
>>

>>> Then we know if PDB is really the culprit.
>>>

>> So pdb is the problem.
>>

>     	Yep, it does the same thing for me.
>

>>> Apart from that, is that really a problem that the filenames are
>>> all lower case? AFAIK Windows is case-insensitive regarding
>>> filenames anyway. So opening the file by just passing the filename
>>> should work seamless.
>>>

>> Yes windows is,
>> but Python is not.
>> My program should run on Windows and Linux (and maybe a few
>> others). By converting everything to lowercase, on Linux I can't
>> distinguishes between 2 files with the same name but a different
>> case (btw, giving 2 files the same name, only differing in case,
>> looks like a bad idea to me).
>>

>     	Hmmm, but I don't understand what you're doing here.  Are you
> somehow storing the filename that pdb outputs and you need to use it
> later on a potentially different OS?  If the case is preserved in pdb on
> linux, then presumably running it on linux will be fine, right?  It's
> only a problem if you somehow try to use a filename created by windows-
> pdb to open a file (the same file, somehow) on linux.

1. I've a multitab editor.
2. When a breakpoint is reached,
3. I check if the file specified in pdb output, is already open in one
of the editor tabs,
4. if not, I open a new tab with the correct file,
5. I focus the correct editor tab and jump to the line specified by pdb.
6. After that I should be able to inspect the surrounding of the
breakpoint, so I need the modules name.

For 3 I need to compare filenames, the editor contains the case
sensitive name, pdb not.
For 6 I also need the case sensitive filename, but probably there's
another way to get the modules name.

For 3, I can indeed compare the lowercase version of both,
probably I'll do that for the moment.

thanks guys for the suggestions
Stef