Linq to Python

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Wed Sep 24 14:15:58 EDT 2008

On Sep 24, 5:22 pm, hrishy <hris... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Well wouldn't it be a lot easier to query and join a xml source with a relational source with LINQ capabilites in Python.
>
> Hmm what am i missing here is there a site that takes all LINQ examples and does them using list comprehensions and makes them sound easy ?
>
> wasn't python supposed to make everything easy ?

Most Python programmers use other languages as well. I have working
knowledge of C, Matlab, C++, Java, Fortran 95, and C#. Those that
responded to your post know what LINQ are and what LINQ does.

Put simply, Python has dynamic typing, list comprehensions, and is
scriptable (i.e. Python source is structured text). That's why Python
don't
need LINQ and XML the same way as C#.  LINQ and XML is needed because
C#
is a statically typed compiled language. That is:

LINQ: Python has list comprehensions and dynamic typing (C# do not)
XML: Python is structured text (compiled .NET assemblies are not)

Second, minimalistic syntax is a virtue. That is why C is still
around.
Python don't add new syntax sugar every time Redmond invents a new
buzzword. Functions like XML processing are delegated to libraries --
where they belong.

Nobody was saying LINQ is a bad idea for a language like C#.