max(), sum(), next()

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Wed Sep 3 15:18:15 EDT 2008

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
> Empty Python lists [] don't know the type of the items it will
> contain, so this sounds strange:

> 0
>
> Because that [] may be an empty sequence of someobject:

You are right in that sum could be used to sum arbitrary objects.
However, in 99.99% of the cases, you will be summing numerical values.
When adding real numbers, the neutral element is zero. ( X + 0 = X) It
is very logical to return zero for empty sequences.

Same way, if we would have a prod() function, it should return one for
empty sequences because X*1 = X. The neutral element for this operation
is one.

Of course this is not good for summing other types of objects. But how
clumsy would it be to use

sum( L +[0] )

or

if L:
value = sum(L)
else:
value = 0

instead of sum(L).

Once again, this is what sum() is used for in most cases, so this
behavior is the "expected" one.

Another argument to convince you: the sum() function in SQL for empty
row sets returns zero in most relational databases.

But of course it could have been implemented in a different way... I
believe that there have been excessive discussions about this decision,
and the current implementation is very good, if not the best.

Best,

Laszlo