ANN: Python GUI development using XULRunner

Don Spaulding donspauldingii at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 13:56:39 EDT 2008

On Sep 16, 8:29 pm, Todd Whiteman <to... at activestate.com> wrote:
> I've put together a tutorial that shows off how to build a GUI
> application using XULRunner (same architectural components as Firefox
> uses) that can be used in conjunction with the Python programming language.
>
> The tutorial covers how to build a Python/XULRunner GUI application:http://pyxpcomext.mozdev.org/no_wrap/tutorials/pyxulrunner/python_xul...
>
> The details in this tutorial covers the initial setup to full
> packaging/deployment, mostly targeting a Windows/Linux platform (MacOSX
> is possible with a few deviations, I have tried to cover these
> deviations where applicable).
>
> Feedback is welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Todd

I get to the "Running" step and run into "Couldn't load XPCOM."

Does this work on x86_64?  Or have I made a rookie mistake?

xulapp1$ ls
app  docs  installer  pyxpcom_gui_app
xulapp1$ cd pyxpcom_gui_app/
pyxpcom_gui_app$ ls
application.ini  components  extensions  pyxpcom_gui_app
chrome           defaults    pylib       xulrunner
pyxpcom_gui_app$ ./pyxpcom_gui_app
Couldn't load XPCOM.