max(), sum(), next()

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 13:26:01 EDT 2008

On Sep 4, 11:13 am, "David C. Ullrich" <dullr... at sprynet.com> wrote:
> In article
> <719910b1-3776-4bf2-a0b6-236f3167e... at 25g2000prz.googlegroups.com>,
>

>  Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:

> > > You are right in that sum could be used to sum arbitrary objects.
> > > However, in 99.99% of the cases, you will be summing numerical values.
> > > When adding real numbers, the neutral element is zero. ( X + 0 = X) It
> > > is very logical to return zero for empty sequences.
>
> > No it isn't. Nothing is not 0, check with MS-Access, for instance:
>
> > Null + 1 returns Null. Any arithmetic expression involving a
> > Null evaluates to Null. Adding something to an unknown returns
> > an unknown, as it should.
>
> > It is a logical fallacy to equate unknown with 0.
>
> Which has nothing to do with the "right" value for an
> empty sum.

I'm less concerned about the "right" value than a consistent
value. I'm fairly certain you can't get 0 from a query that
returns no records, so I don't like seeing empty being
treated as 0, even if it means that in set theory because
databases aren't sets.

> If they hear about what you said here in
> sci.math they're gonna kick you out

They usually don't kick me out, just kick me.

> - what do you
> imagine the universally accepted value of \sum_{j=1}^0
> is?

I can't follow your banter, so I'm not sure what it should be.