Know if a object member is a method

Mon Sep 1 05:16:56 EDT 2008

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:43:25 +0200, Luca wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I think this is a newbie question... what is the best method to know if
> a property of an object is a function?
>
> I'm thinking something as
>
> if type(obj.methodName)==???
>
> Can someone help me?

That's not quite as easy as you might think. In my testing, calling
type(obj.methodName) can give any of the following:

<type 'instancemethod'>
<type 'function'>
<type 'builtin_function_or_method'>

There may be others as well.

Possibly all you really need is to check if the attribute is callable
without caring what type of method or function it is:

>>> callable(obj.methodName)
True

In my opinion, that's the best way.

If you are sure that the method won't have side-effects or bugs:

>>> try:
...     obj.method()
... except:
...     print "Not a method"

(But how can you be sure?)

If you insist on an explicit test, try this:

import new
type(obj.methodName) == new.instancemethod

or alternatively:

>>> isinstance(obj.methodName, new.instancemethod)
True

--
Steven