Generate documentation for a Python developed software

Chris Rebert clp at rebertia.com
Mon Sep 29 13:19:55 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Alfons Nonell-Canals
<alfons.nonell at upf.edu> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have a complex program developed using Python. It contains lot of
> files and classes.
>
> Now I have the lazy task to documentate it. I have some notes about is
> class but I would like to know if there is something to auto-generate
> the doucmentation with the program code. I know I will have to explain
> each class and variable but, if an external software canprepare it, the
> template, it will be great!

Sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) is pretty slick and was used to
generate the spiffy new python docs (http://docs.python.org/dev/).
There's also epydoc (http://epydoc.sourceforge.net/), the standard
library module 'pydoc', and [to a lesser degree] Doxygen
(http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/)

Regards,
Chris