complaints about no replies last week

pruebauno at latinmail.com pruebauno at latinmail.com
Wed Apr 1 10:00:18 EDT 2009

On Mar 31, 4:07 pm, Arnaud Delobelle <arno... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> prueba... at latinmail.com writes:
>
> [...]
>

> > Well since I attracted a couple people's attention I will describe the
> > problem in more detail. Describing the problem properly is probably as
> > hard as solving it, so excuse me if I struggle a bit.
>
> > The problem is for a health insurance company and involves the period
> > of time a person is covered. Most insurance companies allow not only
> > for the main member to be insured but his family: the spouse and the
> > dependents (children). This additional coverage costs extra but less
> > than a full new insurance. So for example if Alice buys an insurance
> > worth at 100 dollars a month, she can insure her husband Bob for an
> > additional 50 dollars. Under certain circumstances Alice may go off
> > the insurance and only Bob stays. In that case the price goes back to
> > 100 dollars or maybe there is a deal for 80 or something like that. In
> > other words the cost of the insurance is dependent on the combination
> > of family members that participate in it. Additionally not only do we
> > have different family compositions but also different insurance
> > products. So you can get medical, dental and vision insurance.
>
> > All that data is stored in a database that is not very tidy and looks
> > something like this:
>
> > First Day of Coverage, Last Day of Coverage, Relationship, Product
> > 5/3/2005, 5/3/2005, D, M
> > 9/10/2005, 10/10/2005, S, V
> > 3/15/2005, 7/15/2005, M, M
> > 3/1/2005, 6/1/2005, S, M
> > 5/15/2005, 7/20/2005, D, D
> > 9/10/2005, 1/1/2140, M, V
> > 2/1/2005, 5/3/2005, M, M
>
> > Where
> > Relationship: M=Main Member, S=Spouse, D=Dependent
> > Product: M=Medical, D=Dental, V=Vision
>
> > As far as I know at the present time there are no deals based on
> > combination of products purchased so we will handle each product
> > independently. What I want is a simple algorithm that allows me to
> > calculate something like this out of it (hopefully I didn’t make a
> > mistake):
>
> > Medical:
> > 2/1/2005, 2/28/2005, M
> > 3/1/2005, 5/2/2005, M&S
> > 5/3/2005, 5/3/2005, M&S&D
> > 5/4/2005, 6/1/2005, M&S
> > 6/2/2005, 7/15/2005, M
>
> > Dental:
> > 5/15/2005, 7/20/2005, D
>
> > Vision:
> > 9/10/2005, 10/10/2005, M&S
> > 10/11/2005, 1/1/2140, M
>
> OK the approach I describe in my previous email works fine for this
> particular problem. I implement it below - the function walk_ivals is at
> the heart of it, I've made it as simple as possible and it's pretty
> clear that it is O(nlogn).
>
> The function that actually sorts the data is union(), and it's just a
> call to walk_ivals with callback the function acc() which is constant
> time, therefore union() itself has the same complexity as walk_ivals.

> [...]

Thanks Arnaud,
indeed I got this error when running the program:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Python26/timeint2.py", line 57, in <module>
    test()
  File "C:/Python26/timeint2.py", line 48, in test
    ivals = parse_data(test_data)
  File "C:/Python26/timeint2.py", line 42, in parse_data
    start, end = map(parse_date, (start + datetime.timedelta(1), end))
TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'datetime.timedelta' objects

easy fix:
        start, end = map(parse_date, (start , end))
        end+=datetime.timedelta(1)

I am assuming you want close-open intervals.
I also added another line to the test:

test_data = """5/3/2005, 5/3/2005, D, M
9/10/2005, 10/10/2005, S, V
3/15/2005, 7/15/2005, M, M
3/1/2005, 6/1/2005, S, M
5/15/2005, 7/20/2005, D, D
9/10/2005, 1/1/2140, M, V
2/1/2005, 5/3/2005, M, M
3/1/2004, 7/1/2004, M, M"""

result:
--------------------
Product M
2004-03-01 M
2004-07-02
2005-02-01 M
2005-03-01 S & M
2005-05-03 S & M & D
2005-05-04 S & M
2005-06-02 M
2005-07-16
--------------------
Product D
2005-05-15 D
2005-07-21
Product V
2005-09-10 S & M
2005-10-11 M
2140-01-02

The output will have to be massaged to get the begin and end of each
interval, but otherwise this is more or less what I was looking for.

The walk_ivals and union function are 20 lines of pretty dense code. I
will have to study it a bit to understand how it really works.

Thanks again