pygame and socket.recv

Aaron Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 20:58:59 EDT 2009

Hi,

I tried writing a small game on a pygame layer.  The graphics are
fine, and at the moment, it is not graphics intensive.  It is multi-
player, and for the communication, I am sending a pickle string across
a LAN, once per frame.

I'm observing some latency.  It seems that socket.recv isn't
performing consistently.  The server is using time.clock and
time.sleep to keep the frame rate at 40 frames per second.  Latency
occurred regardless of whether the connection was ethernet or
wireless, although worse with wireless.

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions?  I am on Windows XP.