Tab completion

Thu Apr 2 10:59:29 EDT 2009

Does anyone use the tab-completion recipe in the docs?

http://docs.python.org/library/rlcompleter.html#module-rlcompleter

suggests using this to enable tab-completion:

try:
    import readline
except ImportError:
    print "Module readline not available."
else:
    import rlcompleter
    readline.parse_and_bind("tab: complete")

which is all very nice, but it makes it rather difficult to indent code
blocks:

>>> def func(x):
Display all 174 possibilities? (y or n)

I like tab-completion, but I'd rather not be reduced to typing spaces for
indents in the interpreter. What do other people do?

Can I bind Ctrl-tab to the completion instead of regular tab? I tried
readline.parse_and_bind("C-tab: complete") but it still completes on
regular tab.

The GNU readline library claims that M-tab (which I guess is Alt-tab)
will enter a tab character. Problem is that Alt-tab is intercepted by my
window manager for something else.

Any other suggestions or hints?

--
Steven