Sending SMS using python script

Brent Bloxam brentb at beanfield.com
Thu Apr 2 14:18:01 EDT 2009

guptha wrote:
> hi group,
> my application needs to send SMS occasionally to all the clients  .Is
> there any library in python that supports in sending SMS.
> I like to conform few information i gathered in this regard.
>
> I can send SMS by two ways
>
> 1. Sending SMS using Email clients
> 2. Using sms gateway to send message(we can implement SMS Gateway API
> 's ,provided by vendor and ,send SMS -- we will be charged
> accordingly )
>
> In case of First approach
> 1. We can make use of libgamil library to send SMS using gmail ( I
> ref : http://blog.datasingularity.com/?p=63 )
> i suppose sending sms through gmail is not supported in India
>  2. Can we use Skype4py library,
>
> In case of second approach
> 1. Is there any way to send SMS for free inside India ,or ,Any free
> SMS gateway providers in India
> Any information regarding this is appreciable
>   Thanks
> --

While this may not be exactly what you want to do, I thought I'd offer
this as an alternative. MultiModem has a hardware product that works as
a GPRS modem (with either a serial or ethernet interface, see here:
http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemGPRS/), allowing
direct access to standard AT commands. The modems require a regular SIM
card with an account setup for it. For our needs we got a basic plan
with unlimited SMS. This is after we went with a couple 3rd party SMS
gateways and found their delivery unreliable for our clients.

I've written a daemon in python called mmsmsd (multimodem sms daemon)
for their ethernet model (MTCBA-G-EN-F4). It queues messages via an HTTP
GET request, which are then handled by threads that maintain telnet
connections to the GPRS modems AT command interface. You can check out
the project here: http://code.google.com/p/mmsmsd/ (it's BSD licensed)

If you go this route, feel free to submit any bug reports or requests.
If anyone out there feels like doing a quick audit of the code, that
would be appreciated as well :) This is my first project with Python.