A design problem I met again and again.

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Thu Apr 2 19:51:24 EDT 2009

一首诗 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a programmer who works with some different kinds of programming
> languages, like python, C++(in COM), action script, C#, etc.
>
> Today, I realized that, what ever language I use, I always meet a same
> problem and I think I never solve it very well.
>
> The problem is : how to break my app into functional pieces?

My question would be why?  Refactoring adds nothing to a functioning app
but clarity and maintainability -- both admirable qualities, granted,
and both unnecessary until needed.  When I need to update an app is when
I start refactoring, and then just those areas that need it.  Certainly
I refactor constantly during development to avoid code reuse through
cut-n-paste, but once I've got it going, whether it's 1000 or 6000
lines, it doesn't matter as long as it works.  I'll tease it out when
the upgrades are needed, new applications can reuse pieces, or sooner if
business refactoring requires it.

Emile, writing in the role of sole developer and maintainer of 500k
lines of code dating back 35 years...