python needs leaning stuff from other language

Thu Apr 2 22:35:18 EDT 2009

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 18:40:08 -0700, Zac Burns wrote:

> Is it really worth it to not implement list.clear and answer this
> question over and over again?
>
> I see no reason that a list shouldn't have a .clear method.

The usual answer to that is that there's already two ways of clearing a
list:

del alist[:]
alist[:] = []

and we don't need a third way. Dicts and sets need a clear() method,
because there's no equivalent to slicing.

I still think that alist.clear() would be a fine addition that matches my
intuition and aesthetic sense. Alas, I'm apparently not Dutch.

BTW Zac, on this list we don't appreciate top-posting, and we encourage
people to trim the quoted replies.

--
Steven