pyreadline, InteractiveConsole, and tab completion on Windows

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Apr 3 04:36:12 EDT 2009

I have installed pyreadline, and get nice tab completion in
the normal interactive interpreter:

<snip>
Python 2.4.4 (#71, Oct 18 2006, 08:34:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import rlcompleter
>>> import readline
>>> readline.parse_and_bind("tab: complete")
>>> <I hit the TAB key, and get this:>
and                       oct                       UserWarning               ArithmeticError
assert                    SystemExit                filter                    str
break                     StandardError             range                     property
[...]
>>> import sys
>>> sys.   <I hit the TAB key again, and get this:>
sys.__displayhook__       sys.call_tracing          sys.getfilesystemencoding sys.ps1
sys.__doc__               sys.callstats             sys.getrecursionlimit     sys.ps2
[...]
>>> sys.
</snip>

However, in 'code.interact()', the behaviour is different.  Hitting TAB
at the top level works as before, but hitting TAB after entering 'sys.' for example
doesn't show any completions:

<snip>
Python 2.4.4 (#71, Oct 18 2006, 08:34:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import rlcompleter
>>> import readline
>>> readline.parse_and_bind("tab: complete")
>>> import code
>>> code.interact()
Python 2.4.4 (#71, Oct 18 2006, 08:34:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
(InteractiveConsole)
>>> <I hit the TAB key, and get this:>
and                       oct                       UserWarning               ArithmeticError
assert                    SystemExit                filter                    str
break                     StandardError             range                     property
[...]
>>> import sys
>>> sys.  <I hit the TAB key, and get nothing>
</snip>

How can I get the same tab-completion?

Thanks,
Thomas