[Python-Dev] PEP 382: Namespace Packages

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Apr 3 17:16:49 EDT 2009

On 08:15 pm, martin at v.loewis.de wrote:
>>Note that there is no such thing as a "defining namespace package" --
>>namespace package contents are symmetrical peers.
>
>With the PEP, a "defining package" becomes possible - at most one
>portion can define an __init__.py.

For what it's worth, this is a _super_ useful feature for Twisted.  We
have one "defining package" for the "twisted" package (twisted core) and
then a bunch of other things which want to put things into twisted.*
(twisted.web, twisted.conch, et. al.).

For debian we already have separate packages, but such a definition of
namespace packages would allow us to actually have things separated out
on the cheeseshop as well.