with open('com1', 'r') as f:

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Apr 4 17:09:01 EDT 2009

gert wrote:
> On Apr 3, 10:10 pm, Christian Heimes <li... at cheimes.de> wrote:
>> gert wrote:
>>> I do understand, and I went looking into pySerial, but it is a long
>>> way from getting compatible with python3.x and involves other libs
>>> that are big and non pyhton3.x compatible.
>> So don't use Python 3.0. Most people are still using Python 2.5 or 2.6.
>
> With all respect but why do people in general avoid the question when
> they do not know something?
> I appreciate the answer and its a valid solution, never the less
> useless in the answer I seek.

You are missing some background information. :)
I've spent a considerable amount of time with the design and development
of Python 3.0. I don't mention the fact in order to show off. I just
wanna explain to you that my suggestion has a solid background.

You are going throw a lot of unnecessary pain and suffering. Python 3.0
is for people, who like to play with cutting edge software and for
library developers, that port their code to 3.0. I appreciate your hard
work but it's really the wrong way. If you like to offer your help then
help the developers of pyserial. Please don't try to come by with a
hacky approach as using the old MS DOS magic files.

Christian