Creating a session in windows to auth to remote machines

Tim Golden mail at
Sun Apr 5 08:11:57 CEST 2009

ericwoodworth at wrote:
> Hi,
>      I'm trying to auth to remote machines so I can plunder WMI to get
> logs and settings and the like.  My script works for most of my
> machines because they're all in the same domain and I run the script
> as somebody who has enough access to get at this stuff but for
> machines off the domain I'm stuck.

Unless I'm missing something here, you can already specify
username etc. with WMI. Just Dispatch on "WbemScripting.SWbemLocator"
and call .ConnectServer. Just in case you haven't already, I
(naturally :) ) recommend my wmi module [1] which wraps a fair bit
of the plumbing for you, including this. Eg,

import wmi

c = wmi.WMI ("some-machine", user="tim", password="password")

for log in c.Win32_NTLogEvent (
  print log.RecordNumber, log.SourceName, log.Message