Module Names with . (dots)?

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Sun Apr 5 17:42:37 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM, activescott <activescott at gmail.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that module names must not have a dot in them. For
> example, I tried to create a module like scott.appengine.util.py  and
> put misc utility classes in there. However, python gives the error "No
> module named scott.appengine.util". No I've read about packages
> (http://docs.python.org/tutorial/modules.html#packages), but packages
> appear to require a specific directory structure and several package
> initialization files just to create a simple module with "pretty" dot
> syntax. Am I missing something?

I don't think so. As the Zen says, "Flat is better than nested" and
"Simple is better than complex", so there's no need for your
unnecessarily hierarchical name since it's not part of a package;
either go with John's suggestion or rename your module to something
even simpler (e.g. "saeutil").

Cheers,
Chris

--