[Python-Dev] PEP 382: Namespace Packages

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Mon Apr 6 10:40:56 EDT 2009

> On Apr 6, 2009, at 9:21 AM, Jesse Noller wrote:

>>> Thanks for picking this up.
>>>
>>> I'd like to extend the proposal to Python 2.7 and later.
>>>

>> -1 to adding it to the 2.x series. There was much discussion around
>> adding features to 2.x *and* 3.0, and the consensus seemed to *not*
>> add new features to 2.x and use those new features as carrots to help
>> lead people into 3.0.
>
> Actually, isn't the policy just that nothing can go into 2.7 that
> isn't backported from 3.1?  Whether the actual backport happens or not
> is up to the developer though.  OTOH, we talked about a lot of things
> and my recollection is probably fuzzy.

I believe Barry is correct. The official policy is "no features in 2.7
that aren't also in 3.1". I personally think I'm not going to put anything
else in 2.7, specifically the ',' formatter stuff from PEP 378. 3.1 has
diverged too far from 2.7 in this regard to make the backport easy to do.
But this decision is left up to the individual committer.