speed of string chunks file parsing

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Apr 6 19:23:58 EDT 2009

On Apr 6, 11:48 pm, Hyunchul Kim <sun... at sfc.keio.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I have a simple script.
> Can you improve algorithm of following 10 line script, with a view point
> of speed ?
> Following script do exactly what I want but I want to improve the speed.

So the first thing to do is to try to work out where it is spending
the time.

Step 1: read your code:

uh-oh: re.compile('^a complex regular expression here$)

By the way, you are using match() so the "^" is redundant.

Step 2: Run some timing tests:

(a) script as written
(b) script modified to do nothing else but count the lines in the
file. Is the time difference worth any further work? If so:
(c) script modified to ignore the regex and pretend the match fails on
each line
(d) script modified to ignore the regex and pretend the match succeeds
on each line
(e) script modified to ignore the appending and yielding; just count
how many matches

So where is most of the time(a) - time(b) difference being taken:
matching or appending/yielding?

> This parse a file and accumulate lines till a line match a given regular
> expression.
> Then, when a line match a given regular expression, this function yield
> lines before the matched lines.

I think your code documents the requirement slightly better. Before
you start worrying about speed, it's a good idea to ensure that the
requirements are correct. It would be useful to include explicit
statements to this effect:

Given N matching lines, there will be (N+1) yields. The last yield
will contain the lines (if any) after the last matching line (if any).
No other yield will be empty. Consequently: an empty file will yield
[], and a file with no matching lines will yield [all the lines in the
file].

Presuming of course that is what you want; consider this:
   first yield: [line1, line2]
   second and final yield: [line3, line4]
The caller has no way of knowing (without using the regex!) if the
last line in the file matches the regex or not. Does this matter?

> ****************
> import re
> resultlist = []
> cp_regularexpression = re.compile('^a complex regular expression here$)
> for line in file(inputfile):
>         if cp_regularexpression.match(line):
>                 if resultlist != []:

if resultlist: # slightly faster and much less ugly

>                         yield resultlist
>                         resultlist = []
>         resultlist.append(line)
> yield resultlist

If it turns out that you don't want lines after the last matching
line, you need to remove the above yield statement.

HTH,
John