3D plotting in a GUI

Eric Carlson ecarlson at eng.ua.edu
Tue Apr 7 21:51:20 EDT 2009

Baris Demir wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to develop a GUI for some scientific data processing operations
> and this GUI should work well with a 3D plotting module, also with NumPy
> and SciPy for sure. I made a search about packages but, there are plenty
> of these modules available. What kind of a package or a package of
> packages might be the best way  for this  work. BTW I do not want to use
> MayaVi. It is too much actually.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> BD

The attached example should give you some idea of embedding mayavi (and
then using the very high-level mlab) and vtk in wxpython apps. This
example requires wxpython, vtk, numpy, and ETS. If you are really after
visualization of data, you will need to spend years to get even a
fraction of the capability of mayavi. On the other hand, rolling out a
py2exe'd version of a program is currently a major challenge if you need
ETS.

The mayavi.mlab module is so easy to use and embed that I would
recommend using it to create a rapid software prototype to compare
against whatever system you decide to go with. It is designed with a
seamless interface to numpy/scipy, and provides high-level routines to
modify low-level properties.

Cheers,
Eric