Why does Python show the whole array?

John Posner jjposner at snet.net
Thu Apr 9 15:21:52 EDT 2009

andrew cooke wrote:

 > i don't know why i get involved in this type of discussion, but....

====
I sense growing exasperation, and I do *not* have strong feelings on
this matter, so I promise this will be my last message on this topic.

I don't really prefer 'contains(belly, beer)' over 'beer in belly'.
Rather, it's a completeness/consistency argument: a language that
includes these methods for string objects:

   belly.startswith(arg)
   belly.endswith(arg)

... should also include:

   belly.contains(arg)

The lack of this method increases the likelihood that a user will
mistakenly use the find() method as a predicate.