calculate field in ARCGIS

Lydia cssaua at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:42:39 EDT 2009

Hi Python users,

I ran into a problem with python coding in ARCGIS. Does anybody have the experience in dealing with this?

I need to calculate NEWFIELD based on OLDFIELD under condition: if  OLDFIELD == 0 then return string "B" otherwise return "".

codeblock = "def codefun(code): if code == 0: return \"B\" else: return \"\" "

gp.CalculateField_management("INFILE", "OLDFIELD", "codefun(!NEWFIELD!", "PYTHON", codeblock)

I got error:

RuntimeError:
exceptions.SyntaxError: invalid syntax (line 1)
Failed to execute (CalculateField).

Thanks for any kind of help!

Lydia