Who is your daddy: Can I find what object instantiates another object?

hubritic colinlandrum at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 12:53:04 EDT 2009

I want to build a parser object that handles two different log file
formats.  I have an object that handles Connection logs and an object
for Filter logs.  Each will instantiate a Parser object, passing in
the path to individual log files.

There are a number of ways I could figure out whether I am dealing
with connection or filter log.

I could pass it in when creating the Parser, but that doesn't seem
very pythonic.

I could figure out the type of log file a particular instance of the
Parser is working with by looking at the format of the file. This
wouldn't be hard but it seems unnecessary.

It would be jiffy if I could find what kind of object instantiated
that particular parser. So if a FilterLog object instantiated it, the
parser would know to parse a Filter log.

Can the Parser object know who its Daddy is?

Thanks