zProblem

norseman norseman at hughes.net
Mon Apr 13 14:13:53 EDT 2009

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> En Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:14:01 -0300, norseman <norseman at hughes.net>
> escribió:
>> norseman wrote:

...(snip)

>>>  UUHHmmmmmmmm    Did you read the pdf?
>
> Yes (and I guess not many people would do). It wasn't clear *what* you
> were asking until this post.

...(snip)

> (are you sure the grammatical issues are relevant at all...?)

...(snip)

> Now, if ... summarizes your problem, I think you
> should use the "place" geometry manager, not grid (nor pack).
> The Tkinter documentation [1] is rather short but the Tcl docs [2] have
> more info.
>
> [1] http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/place.htm
> [2] http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TkCmd/place.htm

Gabriel;

Thanks for the links but I'm having the same problems as before.

In the Tkinter link:
---
pane = Frame(master)
     Label(pane, text="Pane Title").pack()
     b = Button(pane, width=12, height=12,
                image=launch_icon, command=self.launch)
     b.place(relx=1, x=-2, y=2, anchor=NE)
---
     1) It will not work as written and wrapped as below.
     2) When modified as shown, it works but not as advertised.
          (not even close)
---
import Tkinter
from Tkconstants import *
tk = Tkinter.Tk()

pane = Tkinter.Frame(tk)
pane.pack()
Tkinter.Label(pane, text="Pane Title-123456789x").pack()
b = Tkinter.Button(pane, width=12, height=12)
b.place(relx=1, x=-2, y=2, anchor=NE)
b.pack()

tk.mainloop()
---
Above: The label goes at the top and the big button is centered below.
Same problem as with 'grid'.
   Not including the Label line:
   comment out both .pack's and you get a blank frame
   comment out 1st  .pack   and you get a blank frame
   comment out 2nd  .pack   and you get what might be the stated
      Part of Pane is visible and button overlaps. Button is not a fixed
      size. Remove '-123456789x' from label to see Button change size.
      And we have to use pack to even see the thing.

However this order:
---
pane = Tkinter.Frame(tk)
pane.pack()
#Tkinter.Label(pane, text="Pane Title-123456789x").pack()
b = Tkinter.Button(pane, width=12, height=12)
b.place(relx=1, x=-2, y=2, anchor=S)
b.pack()
Tkinter.Label(pane, text="Pane Title-123456789x").pack()

tk.mainloop()
---
it outputs Label at bottom and a big button centered above. It is still
a parcel and first one defined sets the grid size. Period.  Also, the
Button's width/height only take place if Button is defined before Label
or .pack is never used on Button. The 2nd (not used) allows Label to set
the grid dimensions.
I can't visualize that working properly in my current need.  The mockup
board is to be size inflexible and real estate jammed with specifically
sized replaceable sections.  The question is how to make it happen.

Back to your question.  Yes - there is a great need for dictionary
adherence.  Especially when language translations are probable.
Also - The Military, the Engineering/Architectural, Building, Map Making
  and Graphic Arts and Printing communities have all been 'trained' to
the concept of grid. Not to mention Pilots and Navagators. The average
person and the Reality Companies all understand the concept of parcels.
  Grid points can be used without the need to fill the intervening. Take
a look at the starts at night. ALL parcels must have one or more parcels
between them if they are not contiguous. How else can one walk down the
street?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be antagonistic.  I have enough problems
reading bad English 'help' things as it is. Outright abuse of words only
adds bitterness. I had two very strict English grammar teachers and one
very dedicated literary one. 45 years latter, trying to work outside
their 'drummed in' reflexes is actually still quite difficult. Who would
have thought?

Like most people on the planet, if I say make it this by that, I expect
it to be as stated.  Don't you?

Are there any other GUI's that run Python code unchanged on Linux and
Windows?

Steve

side note:  Your English is far better than any other language I attempt