History of python syntax development?

Ritwik rana.roy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 13:01:22 EDT 2009

Hi all,
I'm doing some work in programming languages and I'm looking for a
short history of python development, from the point of view of the
initial development of the syntax. I know I can go through the mailing
lists and news groups (and I am doing that at the moment), and the
python history blog has some stuff, but is there anyone who can
recommend a site/book that has a good description of how the syntax
was chosen and the arguments for/against some of the basic syntax
elements. I understand a lot of it was taken from ABC, so if anyone
has the same info for that language, that would be great too!

Any help would be much appreciated, in the mean time, I must return to
churning through the mailing lists :)