segmentation fault while using ctypes

MRAB google at mrabarnett.plus.com
Tue Apr 14 19:00:03 EDT 2009

sanket wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am dealing with this weird bug.
> I have a function in C and I have written python bindings for it using
> ctypes.
>
> I can call this function for couple of times and then suddenly it
> gives me seg fault.
> But I can call same function from a C code for any number of times.
>
> I cannot get what's going on.
>
> here is my code.
>
> /**********************************************/
> /* C Function I am calling */
> int get_hash(char *filename,int rate,int ch,unsigned char* hash,
> unsigned int* hash_size,short* avg_f,short* avg_d){
>
> /* some variable declarations here */
> fp = fopen(filename,"rb");

You should check the value of 'fp' here.

> data = (signed short *)malloc(sizeof(signed short) * N_BLOCKS);

You should check the value of 'data' here.

> whereami = WAVE_HEADER_SIZE;

What is 'whereami'?

> while((!feof(fp)) && (fp_more == 1) && !ferror(fp)){
>      fp_data_size = fread(data,sizeof(signed short),N_BLOCKS,fp);

'fp_data_size' will be the number of signed shorts read, not the number
of bytes. Is this OK?

>      whereami += fp_data_size;

The final value of 'whereami' will be WAVE_HEADER_SIZE + the total
number of signed shorts read.

>      fp_more = fp_feed_short(fooid,data,fp_data_size); // call to some
> library funtion
>  } //end while
>
> /* some arithmetic calculations here */
>
>   n = my_fp_calculate(fooid,audio_length,fp_fingerprint,&fit,&dom);
>
>   if (data != NULL)
>       free(data)

I don't that 'free()' will complain if 'data' happens to be NULL,
although you should've already checked whether 'data' is NULL when you
malloc'ed! :-)