sharing/swapping items between lists

Aaron Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 20:01:17 EDT 2009

On Apr 14, 12:37 pm, Ross <ross.j... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 14, 10:34 am, Ross <ross.j... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 14, 5:57 am, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:

> > > You'll need to give us more information, then.  Why don't you start with
> > > the core algorithm you're using?
> > > --
> > > Aahz (a... at pythoncraft.com)           <*>        http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
> > > Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?
>
> > Here's the core algorithm I'm using:

> >         if len(teams)%2:
> >                 teams.append(None)
> >         mid = len(teams) //2
> >         for i in range(rounds):
> >                 yield zip(teams[:mid], teams[mid:])
> >                 teams = teams[0:1] + teams[mid:mid+1] + teams[1:mid-1]+teams[mid
> > +1:]+teams[mid-1:mid]

> >         rounds = 15
> >         teams = range(16)
> >         for round in round_robin(teams,rounds):
> >                 print round
>
> fyi rounds=15 and teams =range(16) was just test code I was playing
> around with...they could theoretically be anything.

Here is an idea.  Create a list of all possible pairs, using
itertools.combinations.  You'll notice everyone gets equal play time
and equal time against each other on a pair-by-pair basis.  Then, call
random.shuffle until one player isn't playing on two courts in one
day.

It has the disadvantage that you might end up with player A playing
lots early on and rarely at the end, and B rarely early on and lots at
the end.  Perhaps you could generate a few to several correct
solutions, then choose the most evenly distributed.  Does this make
sense?