[Python-Dev] PEP 382: Namespace Packages

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Apr 15 14:00:42 EDT 2009

On 2009-04-15 19:38, James Y Knight wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2009, at 12:15 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> The much more common use case is that of wanting to have a base package
>> installation which optional add-ons that live in the same logical
>> package namespace.
>>
>> The PEP provides a way to solve this use case by giving both developers
>> and users a standard at hand which they can follow without having to
>> rely on some non-standard helpers and across Python implementations.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what advantage your proposal gives over the
> current mechanism for doing this.
>
> That is, add to your __init__.py file:
>
> from pkgutil import extend_path
> __path__ = extend_path(__path__, __name__)
>
> Can you describe the intended advantages over the status-quo a bit more
> clearly?

Simple: you don't need the above lines in your __init__.py file
anymore and can rely on a Python standard for namespace packages
instead of some helper implementation.

The fact that you have a __pkg__.py file in your package dir
will signal the namespace package character to Python's importer
and this will take care of the lookup process for you.

Namespace packages will be just as easy to write, install and
maintain as regular Python packages.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 15 2009)
2009-03-19: Released mxODBC.Connect 1.0.1      http://python.egenix.com/

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/