How to check all elements of a list are same or different

Gaurav Moghe moghegau at
Wed Apr 15 23:55:49 CEST 2009

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. But I am interested in analysing the contents of just
one list. For example,

So, the logical statement would probably be:
if list1==(contains all same values), print "Same"    ---->False
if list1==(contains all different values), print "Different"  ---->True

I wanted to know here whether there is a command/function that can do
exactly this.  I hope I am more clearer than my last try!

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Chris Rebert <clp2 at> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Gaurav Moghe <moghegau at> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am an amateur python user I wanted to know how do I know whether all
> the
> > contents of a list are all same or all different? Now, I could certainly
> > write a loop with a counter. But is there a ready command for that?
> Checked
> > a lot of docs and this mailing list, but didnt get anything worthwhile.
> > Would be glad to know.
> All same:
> list_1 == list_2
> All different:
> all(x != y for x, y in zip(list_1, list_2))
> Cheers,
> Chris
> --
> I have a blog: