Create standalone Windows program with simple graphics?

norseman norseman at hughes.net
Thu Apr 16 14:32:12 EDT 2009

Poster28 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
> like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
> as a standalone binary for Windows users.
>
> What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
> use?
> --

==============

"as a standalone BINARY..."

Assembly, C or your choice of compilable language.  There are a number
of graphic and raster libraries available from the net. Choose one you like.

"like a chess board"
Create the backdrop and embed it in your program and use the graphic (or
raster) lib functions to send it to the screen. Be sure to up date the
screen in proper sequence after each change to it. Last drawn goes on top.

If you are moving something like chess-pieces, build an icon for each
piece and change the cursor to the correct one during the move. Reduces
the CPU cycles. Only start and end locations need screen updates.

Steve