How do I change the behavior of the 'python-docs' action in IDLE?

Raymond Hettinger python at
Fri Apr 17 08:15:26 CEST 2009

On Apr 16, 12:02 pm, samwyse <samw... at> wrote:
> In the Windows version of Python 2.5, pressing F1 brought up the
> python.chm file.  I've just installed 2.6, and the same action opens  I'd prefer the former behavior.
> I know how to change the key bindings in config-keys.def, but I think
> I want to change the action, not the key binding.  Thanks.

Quick fix:  Go to the Doc directory and rename Python262.chm to
Python26.chm.  Then, restart IDLE.

Slow fix:  File a bug report.  The link to
is the fallback when IDLE cannot find the chm file (either because it
has the wrong name or is in the wrong location).