Suggestions wanted on Tkinter problem

norseman norseman at hughes.net
Fri Apr 17 12:39:00 EDT 2009

Dave Angel wrote:
> norseman wrote:
>> suggested I change the subject line - OK
>> I also replaced the [TAB]s since I noticed the Emailer seems
>> to get very confused with them.
>>

>> Problem:
>>         Using Python 2.5.2 and Tkinter ??? (came with system)
>>         List made and for loop in use
>>         lst=[ ("S", "Single"), .....]
>>
>>         for mode, text ....
>>                 c = Radiobuton(.....
>>                 c.pack()
>>
>> At this point the program runs, but I cannot control gray-out of a
>> specific Radiobutton.
>>
>>         If I:
>>
>>         counter=0
>>         for mode, text ....
>>                 c[counter] = Radiobuton(specified_frame,..
>>                 c[counter].pack()
>>                 counter += 1
>>         .
>>         .
>>         blockUseOf= $varSetElsewhere
>>         c[blockUseOf].config(state = strSetElsewhere)
>>
>> Program crashes on Radiobutton line.
>>
>> There are a number of Frames containing Radiobuttons in the program.
>> The individual lists are long enough no one in their right mind wants to
>> hand code such repetition and then try to maintain it. Not even with a
>> code generator. (Number and organization will change over time.)
>> How do I set things to be able to control any given Radiobutton from
>> elsewhere in the program and still use the for-loop loader?
>>

>> Steve

> Try posting as text.  The html tags in the message are distracting.
>
> I don't know tkinter, but I can see a problem with your code.  You're
> using the [] operators on c, but you never initialize c.  Of course, you
> have a tiny fragment of code, and we're supposed to guess the rest.  But
> normally, when you build a list, you start with:
>     mylist = []
>     for   xxxx  in yyyy:
>            c =  ....new widget....
>            mylist.append(c)
>
> Now, c is just temporary, but mylist contains reference to all the
> widgets.  So later on, you can use  mylist[42] to get button# 42.
>
> A separate problem is that mylist should be a member of a class derived
> from the frame widget, or something like that.  So if this code is part
> of an __init__ method of a class, there are a few "self" items needed.
>
> --

I don't use HTML!  I re-checked the file I sent and it is plain text.
I have no idea where the file you received has been, but sorry for
problem because Yes, they are distracting from my own experiences.

"... if code is part of an __init__..."  No. It's for Global control.

I have tried every combination I could dream up -- except the (now)
obvious one.  Being too close to the problem is just that - too close.

Problem solved - Thank you very much.

Steve